Spring Cleaning Tips for Your Deck
Spring is just around the corner! If you have a deck you are probably starting to think about cleaning it up for the warm weather! Here are some Spring Cleaning Tips for cleaning both wood and composite decks!
Spring Cleaning Tips for a Wood Deck:
• Remove all furniture and other items sitting on the surface of your deck
• Sweep debris (leaves, dirt) from the deck and out from between the deck boards and then use a garden hose to rinse the deck
• Choose a standard wood deck cleaner and follow the instructions!
• It is IMPORTANT to choose a cloudy day when the decking is cool and the sun won’t evaporate the cleaner.
• Use a paint roller, a garden sprayer, or a stiff-bristled brush broom to apply the cleaner. Don’t let it pool. Don’t let the deck dry until you’ve scrubbed it clean. Then let it soak according to manufacturer’s instructions. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
• For more information visit: https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/yard-patio/deck-care-and-maintenance/
Composite and PVC Deck:
• Cleaning composite and PVC decking is very specific so be sure to consult the care and maintenance guides or manufacturer guidelines online before using any products or brushes on your deck.
• Loose debris like dirt or leaves can be swept or hosed off.
• For cleaning, the correct brush is very important so that the deck surface is not damaged. Never use a metal brush; that will damage the surface of your deck.
• AZEK PVC products should be cleaned with a stiff natural fiber brush.
• When cleaning TimberTech capped composite decking, the Quickie Professional Pool and Deck Scrub or a medium plastic bristle deck brush is recommended. DO NOT use a natural fiber brush on this decking.
• For Trex decking use a soft bristle brush to remove dirt and debris.
• For general periodic maintenance cleaning, use a dilution of mild liquid soap (Ex. Dawn Ultra) and water.
• For more difficult to remove dirt, mud, clay, or surface contamination, use an all-purpose cleaner like Chomp Pro Gutter Cleaner.
• To use Chomp Pro Gutter Cleaner, dilute the solution and clean your deck in small sections at a time and rinse thoroughly to avoid a filmy, white residue.
For more Information on Composite Deck Care and Maintenance:
TimberTech Care & Cleaning:
TimberTech Installation & Maintenance Guide:
AZEK Care & Cleaning:
AZEK Installation & Maintenance Guide:
TREX Care & Cleaning:
Fiberon Care & Cleaning:
Fiberon Capped Composite Care & Maintenance: https://www.fiberondecking.com/assets/downloadable-resources/FIB-0207-LIT-Rev-I-1015-Fiberon-Mfrd-Capped-Composite-Decking-Care-and-Maintenance-North-America.pdf
Fiberon Uncapped Composite Care & Maintenance: https://www.fiberondecking.com/assets/downloadable-resources/uncapped-decking-care-maintenance-fib-0104-lit.pdf
Call Cedarbrook today to set up a free consultation for your next outdoor living project!